Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Singing Potatoes A.K.A. Irish Top 40 Music

I've often wondered what it would be like to live in Ireland. Not just because I'm part Irish or because all of the pictures look like a lush, emerald paradise. I have always wanted to visit Ireland for the accents. I could listen to an Irish accent all day long, or even better - all night long. 

When I got married we even went with an Irish theme. We had traditional Irish vows, a bell of truce, green colors and even green flowers! It seemed only fitting for a meshing of two Irish heritages. 

And if that wasn't proof enough of my odd fasination with the 'lucky' island, a few years ago I even bought a cubic inch of land on the beautiful southern coast in Waterford county for my husband's birthday. We received a picture of the groundskeeper pointing to the 'plot' and an invitation for tea on the grounds whenever we happen to be in the area. Someday...

Anyway, in the interest of Irish week on the blog I got to thinking about what it would be like to live in Ireland music-wise. What would the radio be like? What would music video TV be like? So I decided to investigate. This website is a list of Ireland's Top 20 as of last week. 

There were a few of the same songs as on our own Billboard list (about 6), but there were many more that I had never heard of. Some were really great and I can see them being hits here in the U.S. soon (particularly 'Price Tag' by Jessie J and B.o.B), a song about looking beyond the money into the parts of life that will truly make you happy. But then others are strictly going to be Irish hits. Take note of 'I Wanna Fight Your Father' by the Rubberbandits. This song is sung completely in Gaelic and features creepily masked Riverdance wannabes. Oh yeah, and it starts with a singing potato that is reminiscent of a Sesame Street skit. You can't make this stuff up. Did I mention the guy dancing in nothing but his underwear? Seriously - watch it. 

So here's the question. If you were living in Ireland what would be your favorite song on this list? 

No comments:

Post a Comment