Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Prize

So I've been thinking hard about what the prize should be for my March song contest. I couldn't think of anything that would be just right. That was until today when I was cleaning up around my house. I was putting a book away and spotted an old favorite of mine - Songbook by Nick Hornby. 


Nick Hornby is one of my favorite authors of all time. His most famous book was 'High Fidelity' that was made into a movie starring the ever-cute John Cusack. One of the reasons that I love Nick Hornby's writing is because he embeds music into the very fiber of his stories. This helps me as a reader more closely relate to his stories and characters, and as a writer it inspires me to write in a different way.


Songbook is a collection of essays about Hornby's favorite songs of all time - 31 to be exact. My favorite musical author writing personal essays about his favorite songs - kind of an emotional experience if you want to know the truth. This book opened my eyes to some really great music that I hadn't heard of before too. It's the kind of book that I hope one day to write.


Anyway, that's the prize. My very own copy of Songbook shipped directly to you. All you have to do is compose a song about March that makes me hate it not so much and email it to me. Sounds like a deal to me! 


(Click here if you need a refresher on the rules)

1 comment:

  1. You could just submit lyrics if you wanted. I've had a poem submitted already.

    ReplyDelete