Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Songs

June 21st, 2011 is the official first day of summer. Also known as the Summer Solstice. It is the longest day of the year which is bittersweet, because it also means that the days will only get shorter from here until the Winter Solstice. Summer is a big deal to me, and I think to most people. It is a time when you can basically live outside, barbeque, go swimming, sing around bonfires, and stay out late with friends. Not to mention that summer also means vacation for me because I'm a teacher - does it get any better?

Because I've always been passionate about summer, I've also always had a 'summer song'. I'm quite obsessed with the idea actually and have even given my students writing assignments about their summer songs. I've also tried in recent years to find the perfect summer album, but that is so tricky because very rarely can you find an entire disc that you could listen to with the windows rolled down while on your way for a picnic at the lake. (The last 'summer album' I had was The Secret Handshake's 'My Name up in Lights')

So what criteria must a song meet in order to qualify for 'summer song' status? Well, I imagine you could argue that it would be different for everyone, but I think there are some rules that cross all boundaries. 

1. Stickiness - The song has to be catchy. This does not necessarily mean well-written, clever or a masterpiece. For example, my 2000 summer song - 'The Thong Song' by Sisqo or my 2001 summer song - 'Oops! Hit 'em up Style' by Blue Cantrell

2. Beat - A summer song must be up tempo. Even if you just got dumped. No one wants to listen to For the First Time by The Script while at the community pool. 

3. Family Friendly - This criteria might be controversial, but to me it is important. I think you should be able to listen to a summer song anywhere. A 4th of July family picnic, on the beach, riding to get an ice cream. If you have questionable lyrics and content that will make grandma choke on her mint chocolate chip, it ain't gonna fly. 

4. Current -  The song should be representative of the summer that you are in. This helps to bookmark the year and certain events for you. For instance whenever I hear 'Hey Leonardo (She Likes Me For Me)' By Blessed Union of Souls I immediately jump back to senior year in high school and can actually put myself in my '79 Toyota Celica on a dirt road while camping with my boyfriend. That's the power of a summer song.

So those are my four criteria. You might have more, but I like to keep it simple. You might have less, but I'm a geek so...

With that being said I listened closely to songs being currently rotated on the radio for several days and kept a list of several possibilities. 



Here's where you come in. I'm asking you to vote for which song you think should be my summer song. If you want, you can even drop a comment to sway my decision. You can also let me know if you think I've dramatically overlooked a song. What I will do is dig into the stories behind these 7 songs for the next 7 days, and we'll meet back here in a week when I will unveil my Summer Song 2011! 

No comments:

Post a Comment