Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sleepy Songs

The third, and final, reason that I haven't been writing is connected to the others - I've been over-tired! Between searching for a job, preparing for my gig, finishing up units at school, and dealing with my husband's allergies/snoring flare up, I haven't gotten much sleep lately.

Thankfully, there are many songs about being tired that I can listen to when I'm trying to drown out the sound of the hubs stuffed nose. Here are my top 3.

1. I'm So Tired - The Beatles - This one is the classic. I love the passion behind this song. It is full of raw emotion and is featured on arguably the best Beatles album of all-time - The Beatles A.K.A. - The White Album. John Lennon wrote this song at a Transcendental Meditation camp when he couldn't sleep and was missing his fiance - Yoko Ono. He also wrote later that it was one of his favorite tracks. The original recording was done at George Harrison's home in 1968 and is the same as the version we all know, except for a spoken part....

When I hold you, in your arms,
When you show me, each one of your charms,
I wonder should I get up, and go to the funny farm.
No, no, no!

This was taken out later when the final version was recorded.

2. (Last Night) I Didn't Get to Sleep At All - The Fifth Dimension - I couldn't find anything about the background of this song. In fact, I wasn't even able to find the full lyrics because of licensing issues. As far as the song goes, it has just always been a favorite of mine. I love the story that it tells, and again - the emotion. It is also quite hooky. Definitely one of those songs that will stick in your head.

3. Lullaby by Jack Johnson featuring Matt Costa - Costa has produced a handful of albums, but hasn't gotten any mainstream recognition. He actually has recorded on Jack Johnson's record label - Brushfire Records - and has toured with Johnson as well. This sweet tune is seemingly about Johnson leaving his wife while on the road. Through lyrics in other songs they seemingly have a tight relationship.

So those are my top three songs about being tired and/or not being able to sleep. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment