Friday, June 24, 2011

Blow - Ke$ha

Summer Song Hopeful #3:

Blow by Ke$ha




Pros:

  • The beat on this song is definitely meant for the club rather than the beach, but even so it will still get your head moving in the car on the way to any summer destination.
  • I am not a huge Ke$ha fan, but this song has somehow worked it's way in to my brain recently. Maybe it was from the repeated exposure while chaperoning middle school dances. No matter how it happened, there is no denying that this song is catchy.
  • This song was released in Feb. 2011, but as with the other songs I've mentioned so far, it hasn't received a ton of radio play until recently.

Cons:

  • While this song isn't exactly inappropriate, I don't think you could get away with calling it family friendly either. I think grandma would be quite confused by the content, specifically 'making it rain' - that has an entirely different meaning to the older generation. I also think grandma might become agitated by the auto-tuned synthesized effects put on Ke$ha's voice. Can sound induce a seizure like a strobe light can?

Fun Facts:

  • In interview Ke$ha has stated that this song is for her fans. She said in Beatweek Magazine, "I love that I say ‘we’re taking over’ in it because my fans and me have started a cult. We’re misfits of society but we’ve banded together and we’re starting a revolution. We are taking over. So get used to it."
  • Much like her other music videos, this one is equally as bizarre featuring unicorns, James Van der Beek, and laser gun battles. 
  • Perhaps the most interesting of all - Ke$ha reportedly earned an almost perfect score on her SAT's, which leaves me without much left to say but - HUH!?

Do you think 'Blow' has what it takes to be crowned Summer Song 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment