Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Winter's Day...

I think Paul Simon is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, so he will definitely show up here from time to time. As I was gazing out my window this morning, looking at the dirt encrusted snow, I could hear the weather man in the background reporting another big snowfall for the area. While the 'freshly fallen silent shroud of snow' would be welcomed in that it would cover the dingy banks that currently line the street, I think I have had enough. 


This song, 'I am a Rock', is set in winter - December to be exact - because no other season could encompass such harsh feelings or depression. In fact, this is a dangerous song to actually listen to in the wintertime lest you crawl into the bathtub and end it all. That being said, I think we have all had a connection with this song at one point in our lives, especially after a bad breakup. Who hasn't sung, 'if I never loved I never would have cried' through broken sobs in our bed or car? Don't answer that. I don't want to be the only one. Luckily though, we've all made it through. 


Anyone who has listened to Paul Simon's Songbook, his figurative one, not the literal album he put out with the same name that he actually hated, knows that Paul is a pretty deep and sometimes depressing dude. Maybe that's why I like him so much. If he can't make you feel something, you should probably be institutionalized. So Paul wrote this song for the above-mentioned Songbook in 1965 that was released only in the UK. To give you a taste of his feelings toward the project here's what he wrote in the linear notes...


This L.P. contains twelve of the songs that I have written over the past two years. There are some here that I would not write today. I don't believe in them as I once did. I have included them because they played an important role in the transition. It is discomforting, almost painful, to look back over something someone else created and realize that someone else was you. I am not ashamed of where I've been and what I've thought. It's just not me anymore. It is perfectly clear to me that the songs I write today will not be mine tomorrow. I don't regret the loss.


Deep, right? He released the all acoustic endeavor, and went about touring as a poor folk artist. It wasn't until a few months later that Bob Dylan's band got ahold of the tracks and added some electric dubs to them that they became the songs we know today. They sent the revisions to the US and they quickly became hits. Simon didn't even know it had happened. When he found out, he and Garfunkel set about adding harmonies and cleaning up the tracks even more. This became the 'Sounds of Silence' album, which starts with 'The Sound of Silence' and ends with 'I am a Rock' - like a pair of beautiful, depressing book ends. 




Original Version from the Songbook (Be prepared! If it's possible, this is more depressing than the radio version)




So that's my 'Winter' song. What's yours? For a list with some ideas, check out Chris Uggen's Blog







3 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard that version. The stark arrangement is so much better for the lyrics (in my opinion) than the more familiar one - puts it in a whole new light for me.

    Thanks for sharing this, Kate.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession. Not too familiar with Paul Simon. Don't know too many people that appreciate songs that encompass the feelings felt by depressing lyrics. I love what he wrote. He's basically saying that over time we change, we grow, we learn, and even though we were one person one day, we may be a different person tomorrow.

    My favorite Winter song is "Winter" by Tori Amos.

    When you gonna make up your mind
    When you gonna love you as much as I do
    When you gonna make up your mind
    Cause things are gonna change so fast
    All the white horses are still in bed
    I tell you that I'll always want you near
    You say that things change my dear

    In a Rolling Stones interview she said about this song "The 'White Horses' are your dreams. That doesn't really say it. Opportunities? Roads that you thought you would go down and haven't experienced, and all these potential experiences are gone now. Those doors are closed. And imagination - the belief that your imagination can take you to places. The magical world having gone from your world, which to me there's nothing more painful than that - when you can't access your magical world. There was a moment when I thought I was too young to not be able to access that anymore. But I've noticed over the years that a lot of teenagers feel locked out of that world. They don't know how to get back anymore because in trying to become an adult you feel like you have to circumcise the magical world."

    How true. And as the years go by I think we all remember those days of our childhood and feel locked out of those days of magical memories. We wonder who we really are because there's been so many changes along the bumpy road of life.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce,

    I'm glad that you enjoyed this arrangement. I love it too, although I find myself missing the rhythms of the radio version on muscle memory.

    Jennifer,

    Thanks for sharing those great lyrics. That is a great winter song by a powerful lyricist! I love lyrics that make you feel and think!

    ReplyDelete