Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Recording Session

I've successfully completed my first recording session. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it went really smoothly. We worked from 12-7 on Saturday. I had to control my giddiness at the sight of all the equipment. Once I put the headphones on and could hear my own voice I was in heaven. (I've always been obsessed with the sound of my own voice, which is not something that I'm ashamed of as I'm pretty convinced that all singers must have that same opinion - with the exception of Chad Kroeger from Nickelback because no one likes his voice). 

The concept was - LIVE. I played guitar and sang together. Guitar was picked up through an external mic and through the amp. Vocals were recorded in a different mic. We recorded almost every song in one take, except for 'What We Need' which was just as much of a pain in the ass as the guy it was written for. It's as complicated as I get for guitar parts and we did the songs in the order they appear in the book, so it was late in the day and my fingers were sore. We eventually had to record the guitar and vocals separately on that one because I was wincing in pain so much that it affected my singing. 

In a few weeks, I'll be able to listen and tweak as needed. I'll also be able to see if anything needs to be re-recorded.  As soon as things are polished I'll be offering a first listen to all of you. 

Thanks for all of your support and for reading my blog. I know that if music matters to you all as much as it does to me, that you find this place a comforting one. 

And one last note, I'll get back to writing about the stories behind the music now - at least for a little while - until the next milestone comes down the pipe, or is it pike? Damn - even Google doesn't seem to know - oh well!

P.S. Here are some pictures from recording day - notice the bitching guitars I got to play (not mine BTW - once I found out I had access to a Taylor and 2 Gibsons, my plastic-assed Ovation stayed in its case)





No comments:

Post a Comment